- Provides another source for MMPs to target protecting the body's own healthy collagen.
- Combines the structural support of collagen into a soft,absorbent, and comfortable topical wound dressing.
- Non adherent characteristics minimize irritation and protect the wound from trauma when dressings are changed.
- Improves tensile strength of the new tissue.
- Various forms (gels, pastes, powders, and pads).
Indications: Active benefit to non-healing wounds, chronic wounds
Contraindications: Heavily necrotic, infected wounds
Based on medical necessity, Medicare allows up to 30 sheets per month per wound and collagen powder/particles are calculated on an individual basis.Application:
- Clean wound with normal saline.
- Cut collagen to the exact size of the wound. Apply collagen dressing making sure all of the wound bed is covered. If wound is dry, apply normal saline to the collagen.
- Cover with an appropriate secondary dressing.
- Remove secondary dressing as well as gelled and non-gelled dressings.
- Irrigate away any remaining gel with normal saline or appropriate solution.
Cover dressings will be needed with this product.